Film Schools in Europe: The European film industry has historically been the most prominent in the world, producing countless award-winning films over the last century.
If you have a deep passion and interest in filmmaking, and you want to make a career out of it, then that is a very impressive decision, it can be an excellent way to make a living.
But you should know that making films as your career requires dedication, work ethic, and luck of the draw, sometimes it can lead to immense fame or instant success, other times it can lead to many years of hard work.
This article will help to point you in the right direction about the best international film schools so that you can make a more educated decision.
What are the key factors when considering where to study?
Before you choose from any of the film schools that will be listed in this guide, you should ask yourself some personal questions, such as;
- What is the price of tuition?
- Are there any English-speaking programs?
- How many movies have been made by students so far?
- Has the school achieved good rankings in film festivals and competitions?
- Is this school easy to travel to?
- Will I be given adequate access to internships and opportunities around the world?
These are some of the things you should be aware of before making the final call on your preferred film institution, so without further ado, let us review the schools.
What are the best film schools in Europe?
Here are some of the best film schools in Europe, arranged in no particular order, you can individually select any school of interest.
- Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland
- Paris Film Academy, France
- The University of Television and Film Munich (HFF), Germany
- La Femis, France
- Civica Scuola di Cinema Luchino Visconti, Italy
- Budapest University of Drama and Film, Hungary
- School of Film of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Baltic Film and Media School, Estonia
- ECAM, The Madrid Film School, Spain
- Filmakademie Wien, Austria
- HEAD Genève, Switzerland
- INSAS, Belgium
- Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Lithuania
Adam Mickiewicz University is a public research university in Poznań, Poland, it is also one of the best film schools in Europe teaching cinematography in the Polish Language.
The Faculty of Polish and Classical Philology offers film studies and media culture to students at the first-cycle level, it takes three years to complete the program here.
Here are some of the programs you will learn here;
- World Cinema
- History of Polish film
- Cinema of the last decade
- Movie and literary genres
- History of television
- Analysis of television forms
- Film Analysis and Interpretation: Interpretation Models
Graduates from the Adam Mickiewicz film school are very confident to take up roles and major positions in the film industry.
Address: Wieniawskiego 1, 61-712 Poznań, Poland.
Founded in 2012 by Gergana Dragoeva Quievy and located right in the center of Paris, Paris Film Academy is a film production company that offers film classes in both English and French language.
Students applying to this school should know that it will groom them in advanced filmmaking and cinematography, acting for film, photography, etc.
It is also one of the best film schools in France and a non-profit organization for professional actors, directors, and playwrights.
Plus, every student will have the opportunity to produce one of their own films at least once during their studies here.
Founded in 1966, the University of Television and Film Munich is one of the best film schools in Europe with over 350 students enrolled.
The University of Television and Film Munich has four studios and campuses, the programs are 9 semesters long, and aspiring filmmakers can select from programs like;
- Production and Media Management
- Image Design (Cinematography)
- Image Design (VFX)
- Directing for Cinema and Television Film
- Documentary Film and Television Journalism
These programs will definitely groom you to become a top-level film director, producer, screenwriter, and cinematographer.
Learn more: 10 Best Film Schools in Germany
Address: Bernd-Eichinger-Platz 1, 80333 München, Germany.
Phone: +49 89 689570.
Founded in 1986, La Fémis is one of the best film schools in the world situated in Paris, France, it is the film and television school of PSL Research University.
La Femis provides training every year to about 50 students as directors, DoPs, screenwriters, producers, film editors, etc.
The program is taught in French, currently, none of the programs are open to English-speaking participants.
The program is very balanced between artistic research, professional development, and technical training.
La Femis is so good that it is easily one of the top film schools in Europe, however, it is also very selective with its admission process.
Address: 6 Rue Francœur, 75018 Paris, France.
Phone: +33 1 53 41 21 00.
Civica Scuola di Cinema Luchino Visconti is one of the best film schools in Italy founded in 1952 and offers students access to state-of-the-art equipment for studying cinema.
The school offers a three-year program that prepares students with audiovisual knowledge and professional training.
The program is completely taught in Italian, the first year is generally for all students, but the next two years are strictly for specialization in any of the eight professional areas:
- Sound and
- Multimedia Production.
One of the reasons most aspiring film students choose Civica Scuola di Cinema Luchino Visconti is that they are assigned to work groups in this way they get hands-on learning experiences.
Another reason is that the school also promotes special projects in collaboration with organizations, festivals, and institutions, this can give the students the needed exposure for success in the film industry.
Other than the three-year film program, Civica Scuola di Cinema Luchino Visconti also offers 1-year evening courses.
Address: Viale Fulvio Testi, 121, 20162 Milano MI, Italy.
Phone: +39 02 971522.
Budapest University of Drama and Film is the oldest film school in Hungary, founded in 1865 where students can enroll in a five-year program, two years MA and 3 years BA.
The course includes practical exercises, lectures, and tutorials to produce a variety of films under professional supervision.
One of the advantages of studying film at the Budapest University of Drama and Film is that you get hands-on learning experience with some of the best figures in the fields of Hungarian theatre, film, and television.
The MA programs include;
- Film Directing
- Documentary Film Directing
- Production Design
- DocNomads – Erasmus Mundus
While the BA programs include;
- Motion Picture Studies – Motion Picture Editing
- Motion Picture Studies – Motion Picture Sound Directing
- Motion Picture Studies – Motion Picture Directing
- Production Management
- Cameraman Studies
- Television Production
- Drama Education
Here are some of the school’s notable alumni: László Kovács, Vilmos Zsigmond, István Szabó, Béla Tarr
Address: Budapest, Mészáros u. 48, 1016 Hungary.
Phone: +36 1 318 8111
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is one of the oldest tertiary institutions located in Greece that offers one of the best places to study filmmaking.
The Film School at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was founded on the 22nd of July 2004 for the purpose of enhancing the art of filmmaking, within the framework of broad audiovisual education, and producing fully qualified filmmakers.
International students are very much welcomed, it takes five years and ten semesters to complete the film program at this film school.
Here are some of the programs students will be groomed in;
- Film direction
- Film production
- Film writing
- Sound design and music for film
- Sets and costumes, and
- Film history and film theory.
Address: Thessaloniki 541 24, Greece.
Phone: +30 231 099 6000, +30 2310 997161.
The Baltic Film and Media School is one of the best European film schools that was created as a college in Tallinn University in 2005, one of the biggest educational institutions located in Tallinn, Estonia.
The Baltic Film and Media School is found to be the only college of tertiary institution in Northern Europe teaching cinematography and cross-media production in the English Language.
As one of the best film schools in Estonia, Baltic Film and Media School offer its students hands-on three-year BA and two-year MA programs.
Here are some of the degrees obtainable at this school;
- 3-year Bachelor of Arts in Audiovisual Media
- 3-year Bachelor of Arts in Crossmedia Production
- 3-year Bachelor of Arts in Film Arts (in Estonian)
- 2-year Master of Arts in Film Arts
- 2-year Master of Arts in Crossmedia Production
- 2-year Master of Arts in Audiovisual Media: Documentary
- 2-year Master of Arts in Sound and Film Sound Engineering
- 2-year Master of Arts in Theater and Film Directing (in Estonian)
Address: Narva mnt 27, 10120 Tallinn, Estonia.
Phone: +372 619 9900.
Founded in 1994, ECAM (School of Cinematography and Audiovisual of the Community of Madrid), is one of the best European film schools located in Madrid, Spain, and strongly focuses on audiovisual studies.
It is a cultural non-profit foundation offering both an undergraduate and a Bachelor’s degree in filmmaking.
As one of the best film schools in Spain, international students are very welcome in this film school, about 25% of the students are from foreign nationalities.
The undergraduate program takes three years to complete and students can choose from any of the majors below in their second year;
- Film Direction
- Documentary Filmmaking
- Sound Engineering
- Art Direction
To complete the Bachelor’s degree, the student will have to choose from any of the programs below;
- Cinematography (1 year)
- Audiovisual Distribution (1 year)
- Film Critic (1 year)
- Costume Design (2 years)
- Creative Direction in Branded Content and Fashion Films (1 year)
- Vfx Monitoring (1 year)
- Executive Production (1 year)
- Series Screenwriting (1 year)
Some of the reasons most students choose ECAM is because of its workshops where they can get hands-on learning experience and the international seminaries they host, this can really build the confidence of the students.
An intending student might have to go through an interview and present a motivation letter as entry requirements.
Address: C. Juan de Orduña, 3, 28223 Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid, Spain.
Phone: +34 915 12 10 60.
One of the best film schools in Europe is the Filmakademie Wien ranked among the best international film schools by Hollywood Reporters.
Filmakademie provides an immersive learning experience that teaches you all of the aspects of filmmaking and media design at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna.
The Film Academy Vienna was founded in 1951 and consists of artistic production with programs available at the bachelor’s and master’s levels, allowing aspiring filmmakers to learn more about their craft and build a strong portfolio.
It takes 6 semesters to complete the five Bachelor’s degree programs which include;
- Screenwriting and Dramaturgy
- Camera Technology and Cinematography
Students can then further for a Master’s degree program which takes 4 semesters to complete.
Address: Anton-von-Webern-Platz 1, 1030 Wien, Austria.
Phone: +43 1 71155, 0043 1 71155-2902.
Geneva University of Art and Design (HEAD – Genève) is one of the best film schools in Europe formed in 2006 from the combination of two bicentenary schools, the École Supérieure des Beaux-Arts and the Haute Ecole d’Arts Appliqués.
HEAD – Genève is very known for its rich cultural and artistic tradition that encourages young talents throughout the world, the school offers both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in;
- Fine Arts
- Spatial Design
- Visual Communication and
- Jewelry, and
- Accessories Design
With over 700 students enrolled across 40 different countries, HEAD – Genève is one of the best international film schools in Switzerland.
Address: Boulevard James-Fazy 15, 1201 Genève, Switzerland.
Phone: +41 22 558 50 20, +41 22 388 51 00.
Founded in 1962, INSAS which stands for Institut National Supérieur des Arts du Spectacle is one of the most prestigious film schools in Belgium.
This film and drama institution is divided into two establishments, one Rue Emile Féron (Site Féron), dedicated to the Theatre, and the other Rue Thérésienne, centered on audiovisual and cinema.
INSAS offers both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in film making, some of which include;
- Dramatic performance
- Film Editing/Continuity
- Film Directing
- Theatre directing and stage techniques
- Sound techniques
- Writing, etc.
Address: Rue Thérésienne, 8 -1000 Bruxelles // Rue Émile Féron 153, 1060 Saint-Gilles, Belgium.
Phone: +32 2 511 92 86
The Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre is one of the most reputable institutes of music and theatre arts in Lithuania.
It is a state-supported conservatory that has been training musicians, actors, directors, stage managers and other professionals since 1933.
The school’s faculty of theatre and films is composed of five departments; Acting and Directing, Film and Television, Dance and Movement, Art History and Theory, and Arts Management where students are given hands-on training in film studies.
Students from all over the world are welcome to apply and learn from highly skilled specialists in;
- Art history and theory, and
- Arts management.
Address: Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Building 4, T. Kosciuškos 10, 01100 Vilnius, Lithuania.
Phone: +370 5 261 2691.
Other European Film Schools To Get Into
- 3iS, France
- Aalto, Finland
- Anica Academy, Italy
- LFS London Film School, United Kingdom
- Lusophone University of Humanities and Technology, Portugal
- The National Film School of Denmark, Denmark
- Prague Film School, Czech Republic
- School of Film Directing at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- TAMK University of Applied Sciences, Finland
- Westerdals Oslo School of Arts, Communication, and Technology, Norway
- Bande À Part, Spain
- Budapest Film Academy, Hungary
- The Deutsche Film und Fernsehakademie Berlin, Germany
- Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design, and Technology (IADT), Ireland
- Elías Querejeta Zine Eskola (EQZE), Spain
- ENS Louis-Lumière, France
- ESRA Group, France
- FAMU – Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts, Czech Republic
- Filmacademy Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- Fondazione Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia, Italy
- Les Gobelins, France
- Griffith Film & Television Academy, Italy
- The Humanities Institute of Television and Radio Broadcasting (GITR), Russia
- IAD, Belgium
- ifs internationale filmschule köln, Germany
- LUCA School of Arts, Belgium
- Media Business School, Spain
- Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, Budapest, Hungary
- National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts (NATFA) “Kr. Sarafov”, Bulgaria
- National Film and Television School, United Kingdom
- The Polish National Film, Television and Theatre School in Lodz, Poland
- Regent’s School of Drama, Film & Media, United Kingdom
- RITS Erasmushogeschool, Belgium
- Screen Academy Scotland, A Skillset Film & Media Academy, United Kingdom
- Scuola Holden, Italy
- SDAC, Scuola D’Arte Cinematografica di Genova, Italy
- Stockholm Film School, Sweden
- Stockholms dramatiska högskola (Stockholm Academy of Dramatic Arts), Sweden
- The University of Westminster, School of Media, Arts and Design, United Kingdom
- Valand Academy, Sweden
- VIA University College, Denmark
- VSMU – Academy of Performing Arts Bratislava, Slovakia
- Warsaw Film School, Poland
- Zelig, Italy
We Also Recommended
- 15 Best Film Schools in London
- 10 Best Film Schools in Toronto For Aspiring Students
- 20 Best film Schools in California with Key Facts
- The 7 Best Film Schools in Colorado
- The 12 Best Filmmaking schools in Australia
- 20 Best Drama and Acting Schools in the UK
- 16 Best Drama and Acting Schools in New York
- 25 Best Drama Schools in Canada To Start Your Acting Career
Were the answer(s) to your question satisfactory? If so, please leave a comment and let us know!
If you believe this post might be helpful to your friends, feel free to share it on social media, there are sharing buttons available below and they are very easy to use!
If you are a college, university, student organization, or business and want to partner with us, simply contact us.