Here is a well-detailed guide to the best small colleges in New Jersey. Each institution on this list offers a distinctive educational experience, from private liberal arts colleges to community colleges and STEM-focused universities.
Emphasizing personalized attention, community engagement, and diverse academic programs, these colleges cater to a range of student preferences.
As you explore this guide, discover the unique qualities that make each small college in Garden City a compelling choice for those seeking a close-knit learning environment and a well-rounded education.
If you did not find your choice school here, you can also scout for alternatives in our archive of the best small colleges in other states of the US for other small school options.
- 9 Best Football Colleges In New Jersey | Detailed Guide
- 10 Best Islamic Schools in New Jersey | All You Need To Know
- Apply for Dermadry Hyperhidrosis Scholarship in Canada: Best Guide
- Apply for Loretta Saunders Community Scholarship Fund: Best Guide
- Apply for Québec Perspective Scholarship in Canada: Best Guide [With FAQs]
What are the best small colleges in New Jersey?
Without further ado, we lead you to the top colleges with small class sizes and student populations in New Jersey. Our job here at Ziiky is to make school searching easy and seamless for you.
Now here are the top New Jersey small colleges:
1. Drew University, Madison
- Phone: +1 973-408-3000
- Undergraduate enrollment: 1,952 (2020–21)
- Address: 36 Madison Ave., Madison, NJ 07940, United States
Located in Madison is a university nicknamed University in the Forest: Drew University. The college stands out as a private institution with a strong liberal arts focus.
Renowned for its vibrant and intellectually stimulating community, Drew offers personalized attention with its small class sizes, encouraging students to explore interdisciplinary studies.
The university’s commitment to fostering global citizenship and its beautiful wooded campus provide a unique and enriching environment for those seeking a well-rounded education.
2. Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck
- Phone: +1 201-692-2000
- Undergraduate enrollment: 2,515 (2020–21)
- Address: 1000 River Rd., Teaneck, NJ 07666, United States
Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, a private institution, excels in providing a diverse and inclusive community and offering over 100 degree programs.
With a global perspective embedded in its curriculum, FDU prepares students for success in an interconnected world.
The university’s emphasis on experiential learning, through internships and cooperative education programs, makes it an ideal choice for those wanting to bridge academic theory with real-world applications.
3. Saint Elizabeth University, Morristown
- Phone: +1 973-290-4000
- Undergraduate enrollment: 688 (2020–21)
- Address: 2 Convent Rd., Morristown, NJ 07960, United States
Saint Elizabeth University, located in Morristown, is a private Catholic liberal arts institution known for its commitment to social justice and community engagement.
The college is coeducational, offering 25 undergraduate majors, 16 master’s degree programs, and two doctoral programs. With a focus on ethical leadership and service, St. Elizabeth provides students with a values-based education.
The university’s close-knit community and emphasis on creating positive societal impact make it an excellent choice for those seeking a holistic education that extends beyond academics.
4. Caldwell University, Caldwell
- Phone: +1 973-618-3000
- Undergraduate enrollment: 1,624 (2020–21)
- Address: 120 Bloomfield Ave., Caldwell, NJ 07006, United States
Caldwell University, a private accredited Catholic institution in Caldwell, offers a personalized education with a strong emphasis on individualized attention from faculty.
With a commitment to fostering critical thinking and a supportive campus community, Caldwell provides students with the tools for academic success.
The university’s diverse range of programs and its dedication to student development make it an attractive option for those seeking a small college experience with a personalized touch.
5. Georgia Court University, Lakewood
- Phone: +1 732-987-2700
- Undergraduate enrollment: 1,314 (2020–21)
- Address: 900 Lakewood Ave., Lakewood, NJ 08701, United States
Nestled in Lakewood, Georgian Court University is a private Roman Catholic institution that stands out for its commitment to holistic education in both undergraduate and graduate programs.
With a strong focus on the arts and sciences, Georgian Court encourages students to explore their creativity and critical thinking skills.
The university’s serene campus and dedication to social justice make it an ideal choice for those looking for a small college that values both intellectual and ethical development.
6. Franciscan University, Rutherford
- Phone: +1 201-355-1465
- Undergraduate enrollment: 1.996 (2020–21)
- Address: One Felician Way, Rutherford, New Jersey 07070
Felician University, located in Rutherford, is a private Catholic institution known for its supportive community and diverse academic offerings. With a commitment to Franciscan values, Felician fosters a welcoming and inclusive environment.
The university’s emphasis on experiential learning and its strong ties to industry make it an excellent choice for students seeking a well-rounded education with practical applications.
7. Bloomfield College of Montclair State University, Bloomfield
- Phone: +1 973-748-9000
- Undergraduate enrollment: 1,294 (2020–21)
- Address: 467 Franklin St, Bloomfield, NJ 07003, United States
Bloomfield College, affiliated with Montclair State University, is a private institution in Bloomfield offering a personalized education with a focus on career readiness and one of the small colleges in New Jersey.
With a commitment to diversity and a range of academic programs, Bloomfield College prepares students for success in a rapidly changing world.
The college’s location and collaborative atmosphere make it an appealing choice for those seeking a small college experience with access to the resources of a larger institution.
8. Centenary Campus Store, Hackettstown
- Phone: +1 908-852-1400
- Undergraduate enrollment: 1,111 (2020–21)
- Address: 400 Jefferson St, Hackettstown, NJ 07840, United States
Centenary Campus Store in Hackettstown is part of Centenary University, a private institution with a strong emphasis on career-focused education.
The picturesque campus and small class sizes at Centenary provide students with personalized attention and hands-on learning opportunities.
Keep in mind that the university’s commitment to student success and its close-knit community are what make it an excellent choice for those seeking a small college experience that prioritizes individual growth and development.
9. Saint Peter’s University, Jersey City
- Phone: +1 888-772-9933
- Undergraduate enrollment: 2,017 (2020–21)
- Address: 2641 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City, NJ 07306, United States
Saint Peter’s University, located in Jersey City, is a private Jesuit institution that stands out for its commitment to social justice and community service.
SPU offers over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs. With this diverse range of academic programs and a global perspective, Saint Peter’s prepares students for leadership in a multicultural society.
The university’s urban location, strong emphasis on ethics, and dedication to academic excellence make it an attractive option for those seeking a values-driven education in the heart of a vibrant city.
10. Atlantic Cape Community College, Hamilton
- Phone: +1 609-625-1111
- Undergraduate enrollment: 4,098 (2020–21)
- Address: 5100 Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing, NJ 08330, United States
Atlantic Cape Community College, a public institution in Hamilton, is a beacon of accessibility and affordability.
With a focus on providing quality education and practical skills, Atlantic Cape prepares students for immediate entry into the workforce or seamless transfer to four-year institutions.
The college’s commitment to meeting the diverse needs of its student body makes it an excellent choice for those seeking a community college experience that opens doors to various educational pathways.
Keep in mind that Atlantic Cape offers more than 40 career and transfer degrees and training for the nation’s hottest careers. Also, the school designs its programs.
FAQs on best small colleges in New Jersey
Is NJIT a small college?
No, the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) is not considered a small college. It is a public research university located in Newark, known for its emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
Is Rutgers a small college?
No, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, is not a small college. It is a large public research university with multiple campuses, offering a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What is the average class size at New Jersey small colleges?
The average class size at New Jersey colleges typically ranges from 15 to 30 students. These institutions often prioritize small class sizes to enhance personalized interactions between students and faculty, fostering a more engaging and collaborative learning environment.
Is New Jersey a good place to study?
New Jersey is a diverse state with numerous educational opportunities, making it a good place to study.
What is the average cost of small schools in New Jersey?
The average cost of small schools in New Jersey varies widely based on factors such as whether the institution is public or private and whether it is a community college or a private university.
On average, tuition for in-state students at public institutions can range from $10,000 to $15,000, while private colleges may have higher tuition, often exceeding $30,000 annually.
Students must consider individual financial situations and explore available financial aid options to determine the overall cost of education at their chosen institution.
We hope you find your perfect school above.
- 10 Best Small Colleges in Michigan | Expert List
- 12 Best Small Colleges in Minnesota | Expert List
- 10 Best Small Colleges in Mississippi | Expert List
- 10 Best Small Colleges in Missouri | Expert List
- 10 Best Small Colleges in Montana | Expert List
- 10 Best Small Colleges in Nebraska | Expert List
- 10 Best Small Colleges in New Hampshire | Expert List