Among the many programs to undertake as a student in any of the Canadian institutions is the biotechnology diploma courses in Canada. These courses are for students who have an interest in biological systems, living organisms, or parts of these to develop or create different products.
From the basic intricacies of biotechnology to the advanced learner’s options, there is an array of courses that will help you achieve that. Also, the courses do not just exist, there are a wide range of universities in Canada offering these courses.
Here in this guide, we show you the universities in Canada offering biotech diploma courses for local and international students. We have also outlined the requirements for admission, tuition cost, as well as the application season.
If you’re not totally sure if biotechnology is the course you want to go for, explore other program options in our Programs archive.
How Many Diploma Courses Are Available In Canada For Biotechnology Students?
There are over 20 biotechnology diploma programs in Canada offered by different schools at different academic levels. This includes bachelor’s, master’s, and a few PhD options.
Is Canada A Good Place To Study Biotechnology Courses?
Canada is slowly becoming the 3rd most popular study-abroad location due to the vast opportunities it offers international students. Regardless of the program you went for, studying in Canada can be very rewarding.
Biotechnology courses have a rich history in Canada and there are also several other factors that widen the scope of studying biotechnology in the country. These include:
1. The unparalleled quality of education
Canada is one such country that dedicates a plethora of financial and non-financial resources to its education sector. Moreover, specifically for the biotechnology discipline, there are various universities that fall in the top ranks globally for the subject. With a wide variety of specializations like biochemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, etc., available, students will have ample choices to select from.
2. Enticing job opportunities
The scope of biotechnology in Canada is very lucrative. According to MaRS, Canada is a biotech powerhouse that drives an $86.5 billion bio-economy and generates a large number of jobs every year and in Ontario province alone, there are over 485,000 people employed in this sector. After completing the bachelor’s or any other level of education in biotechnology in Canada, students will find themselves in front of many opened doors of great job opportunities.
3. High quality of life
Canada enjoys one of the world’s best studying and living environments. With many attractive aspects like shockingly lower relative crime rates and unemployment rates from the rest of the world to one of the best life expectancies, there are many demographics that attract immigrants.
- 12 Best Colleges and Universities in Alberta, Canada | Rankings
- Apply for Rhodes Scholarship in Canada [Fully Funded]: Best Guide
- Apply for Dermadry Hyperhidrosis Scholarship in Canada: Best Guide
- Apply for Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship in Canada: Best Guide
- Apply for Québec Perspective Scholarship in Canada: Best Guide [With FAQs]
What Branches of Biotechnology Can I Study In Canada?
Biotechnology as a discipline is vast due to the diverse applications of the profession. Different schools offer different areas of focus in this career. However, whatever offering they focus on, they fall under the five categories of biotechnology.
Biotechnology as a study is classified into five. They are
1. Yellow biotechnology
This aspect of biotechnology is focused on researching food production. This could include carrying out research to reduce the levels of saturated fats in cooking oils.
2. Blue Biotechnology
Blue biotechnology on the other hand focuses on research around marine resources to obtain aquaculture, cosmetics, and health care products.
3. Red biotechnology
If you’re interested in the health aspect of biotechnology, then you should look out for courses under red biotechnology. Red biotechnology is the health branch of biotech responsible for the development of more than 250 vaccines and medications such as antibiotics and the production of artificial organs.
4. Green biotechnology
Green biotechnology on the other hand like the name fives away focuses on agriculture. This focuses on driving innovation to fight pests, nourish crops, and strengthen them against microorganisms and extreme weather events, such as droughts and frosts.
5. White Biotechnology
Lastly is white biotechnology which is the industrial branch of biotechnology. White biotechnology focuses on improving manufacturing processes and developing biofuels and other technologies to make the industry more efficient.
Either of the schools or universities you see in our list, offers either or more of the various branches of biotechnology.
What Programs Are Available For Biotechnology Diploma Courses In Canada?
While there are a vast number of courses available and universities in Canada offering these courses, not all levels of academic programs are offered. The career paths in biotechnology in Canada are;
- Bachelors in Biotechnology
- Masters in Biotechnology
- Diploma in Biotechnology
What this means is that if you’re opting for a doctoral degree, Canada may not be a good place to consider biotechnology programs. However, you can consider other 2 Years Diploma Courses In Canada.
What Are The Best Biotechnology Diploma Courses in Canada?
At Zikky we Center our research on what students are looking for. Here is a list of some of the top universities which provide Biotechnology courses in Canada.
1. University of Toronto
QS World University Rankings 2022: 26
- Master of Biotechnology (MBiotech)
- Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology program.
2. McGill University
QS World University Rankings 2022: 27
- Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology
- Master of Science, Applied (M.Sc.A.) Biotechnology
3. McMaster University
QS World University Rankings 2022: 140
- Biotechnology Co-op (B.Tech.)
4. University of British Columbia
QS World University Rankings 2022: 46
- MSc and PhD in Biotechnology Science
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Biotechnology
5. University of Calgary
QS World University Rankings 2022: 235
- Master of Biomedical Technology (MBT)
6. University of Windsor
QS World University Rankings 2022: 701-750
- Master of Medical Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology [Honors]
7. University of Waterloo
QS World University Rankings 2022: 149
- Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology
8. Lakehead University
QS World University Rankings 2022: Not Specified
- Master of Science in Biology (Thesis)
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Biotechnology
9. Concordia University
QS World University Rankings 2022: 521-530
- Graduate Diploma in Biotechnology and Genomics Montreal
10. Simon Fraser University
QS World University Rankings 2022: 298
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Molecular Biotechnology and Biochemistry
- MS/MSc Biotechnology
What Are The Admission Requirements To Get Into Any Of The Biotechnology Diploma Courses in Canada?
Eligibility criteria differ depending on the program and school you’re applying to. However, the general list of requirements include;
- Resume or CV.
- Scanned copy of the passport
- Entrance test scores (if required)
- Statement of Purpose for Canada
- Letter of recommendation, if needed
- Proof of language proficiency like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc
- Academic transcripts from your previous institution, that is (School-leaving certificate for a Bachelors course and Bachelor’s degree certificate for a Masters course)
Specific requirements for BSc Biotechnology Courses in Canada
- Completed high school with English, biology, chemistry, and mathematics.
- A minimum grade of B must be maintained in order to continue with a major or honors degree in biotechnology.
Specific requirements for MSc Biotechnology Courses in Canada
- Completed college and graduates in biology, chemistry, molecular biology, genetics, and related fields are eligible for graduate programs in biotechnology.
- Submit thesis on completion.
Specific requirements for Biotechnology Diploma Courses in Canada
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent.
- Have grade 12 English and grade 12 math credits. Additional science credits are usually required but vary depending on the institution.
Where Can I Work With A Biotechnology Diploma Degree In Canada?
There are a lot of job opportunities for diploma biotechnologists after studying in Canada. Job outlook report shows over 33% of biotechnology and life sciences employers report skills shortages and 20% have job vacancies in their companies.
Here are jobs you can find with your diploma degree;
- US Healthcare.
- Medical Coding.
- Medical Billing.
- Clinical Research.
- Clinical Operations.
- Laboratory Medicine.
- Laboratory Techniques.
How Much Do Biotechnologists Earn In Canada?
Where you work and what branch of biotechnology you specialize in can influence how much you earn as a biotechnologist in Canada.
Generally, biotechnologists average salary in Canada is $74,614 per year or $38.26 per hour.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Biotechnology Diploma Courses in Canada
Do biotechnologists do research?
Biotechnologists are at the forefront of the continuous search to find new, sustainable food sources. Research opportunities can make them work in various work environments like the industrial sector, environmental sector, medical sector, food manufacturing, healthcare, and pharmaceuticals. Professionals in this field can specialize in one or more subfields like genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics.
Which is the best college in Canada to study biotechnology?
The choice of the best college is dependent on what you’re looking out for and the level of academic program and as such is person-specific. However, based on general reviews, the best colleges in Canada to study biotechnology include
- Seneca College.
- Holland College
- Fleming College
- Durham College
- Algonquin College
- Conestoga College
- Centennial College
- Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology,
Is it better to study biotechnology online or offline in Canada?
Traditional on-campus learning is the best way to study biotechnology in Canada. This offers students the chance for one-on-one interaction learning and practicals.
This is the best option because hands-on experience is very important for a degree like biotechnology which is usually not covered during online courses.
But if you are a mid-career professional or someone who has a lot on his/her table, then online classes will be more convenient for you as long as you have enough resources to make that happen.
Canada is a good place for biotechnology programs even at the diploma level. Be sure to satisfy the eligibility criteria requirements and stand a chance to gain knowledge in an incredible environment.
- 23 Top IT & Cybersecurity Schools in Ontario, Canada
- 23 Top IT & Cybersecurity Schools in Quebec, Canada
- 20 Best Art Schools in Ontario Canada: Don’t miss out
- 70+ Weird Scholarships In Canada: Apply Now Before Deadline
- 5 Best IT & Cybersecurity Schools in British Columbia, Canada.
- Scholarships For Black Students In Canada: The Best 10 To Apply For Annually